Wednesday, May 18, 2005

A great brouhaha is brewing over two recent blog posts (other blogger's work...not my posts). In the first, a fellow writer bemoaned the poor writing she found among erotic romance books. In the second, a gentleman announced that the publishing of ebooks, on the whole, was a failure.

We all know there are good writers who get published...and there are terrible writers that get published. But the glory of living in a democracy, is that, should you put any group of people together from any and all walks of life, give them a pile of books, and you will get an extremely lively discussion about which writers belong in which category. I'm not a fan of Charles Dickens (not that he ever wrote erotic romance, but no one can deny A Tale of Two Cities has romance as its backbone!), but my husband thinks Dickens is one of the best writers ever to exist. So is he a good writer or a terrible one? Depends on who you ask. The blog writer who bemoaned the poor writing is allowed her opinions. I don't have to agree with them.

As to the failure of ebooks as a viable publishing alternative? Hmmm...methinks he hasn't heard of Ellora's Cave! Or, for that matter, several of the ebook publishers that cater to the romance genres. The examples in his article came mostly from the non-fiction side of the aisle, although he did reference other literary forms. He also seemed to think that most ebooks eventually were printed out by the purchaser for easier reading.

He could be right on the last comment. I don't know how many readers actually print the books they buy online. I know I don't. I don't have a neat little reader-ma-bob either. I read them right at my computer screen. For some, I know that's a problem, but my eyes are in that in-between stage right now. LOL I use bifocals for distance and closeup work...but the computer screen is exactly the right distance away that I don't need assistance! That's why, if you ever see me, you'll find my glasses perched on top of my head in easy reach if I need to see something across the room or read a piece of paper. But if I want to talk to you, I have to take them off. Otherwise I'm doing the head-nod thing trying to determine which part of my glasses work best to see you!

So to answer each tempest in a teapot with a dash of my own spice: there are good and bad writers of every genre. Read the authors you like; ignore the ones you don't. And don't bury the ebook publishers just yet...they're still alive and kicking in my experience!

Play safe!
Diana

No comments: