Thursday, April 29, 2004

Monday was a good day. I wrote four pages in two hours. And four pages of pretty good stuff, too! Unfortunately, the rest of the week has not been as productive. Real life sometimes gets in the way and writing time becomes sacrificed.

Tonight, however, I returned to DIAMOND HEAT, my baseball story for next Valentine's Day. Don't ask how I'm tying baseball and Valentine's Day...I haven't figured that part out yet. Don't bother me with details!

Seriously though, I spent time tonight cleaning up various plot points. When I write, I tend to "throw up" on the paper... or computer screen to be more exact. What is in my head comes out my fingers and forms a story. Since I tend to discover the characters as I go along, sometimes I write things in the beginning that just don't fit with events later on. That's what happened with DIAMOND HEAT.

In fact, I'd written myself quite a nice little puzzle. Baseball is at the heart of the story, and the book opens with an important away game. Except that I wrote the party that night as if the game had been at home. Blast! Now I either had to move the party or the game. And I didn't want to move either. I liked both in the places where they were.

For two weeks now, I've been ignoring that little problem. Don't stop the story for little fixes...keep writing and fix later. That's always my philosophy. Well, later came tonight. I couldn't get the problem out of my head and realized I was never going to move this story along until I fixed it.

And just in case you're wondering...the game is now at home. And so is the party at night. Whew! Believe it or not, it has just taken me the better part of an hour to rewrite the two paragraphs that dealt with that fact. But it is done now and maybe I can continue....

Take care,
Diana

No comments: