Sunday, April 25, 2004

Steven Covey wrote a book called "Seven Habits of Highly Successful People." Among the Habits, there is one he calls "Sharpening the Saw." People who consider themselves successful make a habit of taking time off. They indulge in a hobby, a vacation, a good book....anything that takes their mind off work and lets them rest and re-energize. Doesn't matter what your profession or what job you do, it is his opinion we all need to take time out on occasion to 'sharpen the saw."

Why do I start this entry with that seeming sidestep? Because I have not written one word for an entire week. Not. One. Word. I've written two full-length novels, two short stories and one novella-length work in a year's time. Although I am faced with a deadline for two more contracted works, this week I just couldn't think. And then I remembered Steven Covey.

So I stopped beating myself up about the fact that I couldn't seem to concentrate and took it as a sign that I needed a bit of a break. I've crocheted several hotpads, cleaned SEVERAL rooms of this house, and read FOUR books! I haven't read four books in a week in AGES!!!!

The result is, today I feel more relaxed and calm than I have in quite some time. Tomorrow I have a two-hour time set aside to write...and I shall be ready. Fresh from a week of doing 'nothing,' I will dig in and get DIAMOND HEAT rolling. Nothing like coming off a break and into a hot love scene!

BTW, I'd recommend Steven Covey's book to anyone who hasn't yet read it. Some great things to remember in there...lessons to live by!

Take care,
Diana

No comments: