Monday, July 03, 2006

One of the questions I'm frequently asked is, "Where do you get your inspiration?" I thought I'd take a moment today and give at least a part of the answer.

The plot lines of my stories are driven by character (those of you who read my blog often already know this...and the troubles I've had when characters choose to act independently of their author!). But those characters must come from somewhere. Some of them are composites of people I actually know...taking a gesture from this person, a phrasing from that...a turn of the head or a favorite activity...and combining them into a unique character that is brought to life only by the words on the page and the workings of our imaginations.

But many come from art. Yes, you heard me. There are some magnificent BDSM artists out there painting, drawing, sketching some wonderful works of art. The Drunna series by Serpieri, the pin-ups of Greg Hildebrandt, the work of Ken Marcus and Eric Stanton, and then a site I found most recently: some wonderful photographs by William are among the many I have used as inspiration over the past few years.

(sidenote on the Hildebrandt brothers: they are perhaps most famous for their Tolkien artworks, however, stop by their website and you will see they have incredibly eclectic tastes!)

In any case, feel free to visit the galleries of the above artists...and email me with artists you've found. If I get enough, I'll add a page to my website in the future...a listing of great BDSM art!

Play safe,
Diana

No comments: