Friday, December 09, 2005

I have been playing around with this blog's formatting...trying to add a counter (not successful) and trying to add a set of links along the side (moderate success there). I do not "speak" HTML, but in order to change the look or accoutrements of the blog, it is into the code I must wander.

And wander is a good word for what I do when I get there. "Code," according to Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (my favorite edition, copyright 1963) means "a system of words or other symbols arbitrarily used to represent words." I like that word: arbitrarily. It seems so...appropriate. For to me, HTML (HyperText Markup Language, in case you were wondering), is a code in the truest sense of the word. You cannot just read it, you must first understand what each of the signs, symbols and words stand for. User friendly, it ain't.

I love technology. I love the gadgets and gizmos and the ease. Point and click technology is the best thing since sliced bread. And I chose www.blogger.com to host my blog precisely because they have templates and I don't have to do much other than type. But then one looks about and sees all the toys on other people's blogs (if you haven't seen Lauren Dane's, you're missing a real treat) and one wants all that, too!

But "all that" requires HTML knowledge. Sigh. So I've been trying...mostly by trial and error. So if the blog on occasion looks odd, or things don't point quite to the site I meant it to, please bear with me. I added a set of links along the side today and at the bottom of the page, I added a link to a place that will show you who links to my blog. Except the link at the bottom is pointing to someone else's stats...and you have to put my name in the search on the top.

Dinner is ready...and I must go. Life calls. Please forgive the wierdness and check back again later. Perhaps the HTML fairy will have visited and fixed it all.

Play safe,
Diana

PS. Okay, I successfully moved the "who links to me" link to the sidebar (Yay for me!) and it now points to me, and not some other dude (whew!). Off to try and limit the archive list that seems inordinately long....

No comments: