Friday, September 05, 2014

I've been quiet of late...

Haven't said much here recently...partly because I got out of the habit. Writing each week is something I enjoy doing, but when life got in the way and I stopped, it was hard to start up again. I've composed several posts in my head, but when I sit down at the computer, poof! They're gone and I can't remember what I wanted to share.

August was a relaxing month for me after the harried six months that preceded it. My husband and I took a wonderful four-day trip to Lancaster, PA, which is only a six hour drive for us (well, five and a half, but we stopped a few times. One needs ice cream on a sunny afternoon, after all!). We stayed at the After Eight Bed and Breakfast, which I heartily recommend. Luxury and incredible breakfasts! Robert is a gracious host and an entertaining storyteller. We feel we made a friend. :)

And then we took two weeks at our cabin after not being there the entire summer. That alone, should make you realize just how stressful these past months have been. Before this year, we'd spend twenty days out of thirty at the cabin from May through October. This year, I think we spent four days TOTAL from May through the middle of August. It was wonderful to go and get away from everything. To recharge...to "sharpen the saw" as Steven Covey put it.

Of course, not having been there most of a year, everything that was going to break, did. The rider mower (a second-hand one) threw a rod. The shower, which hadn't been used since last year, apparently had some water left in the hose over the winter and the ice cracked it open. We had a propane leak that needed finding and fixing. The back door needed replacing. The mice think they own the cabin (we caught three of the little buggers but there are still more who are too clever by far!).

But we didn't mind. Repairs are a part of home ownership and it was actually kind of fun to do them. Felt more like caretaking than chores.

I also finished TRAINING TWO while I was there. Just needed time to do it and I was writing between 4-6 thousand words a day. This is a Mystic Shade title and will be released soon, so watch for it! It's a Jack Kariola Slaves book - so you know it's going to be hot, hot, hot!

Normally I start school at this time of the year - and I have. Finger Lakes Community College called and offered me a position as an adjunct, teaching two classes. I said yes, figuring it would help, not only financially, but would also help me transition out of a full-time job. I'm only 57 - I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet! So I'm teaching ENG 101 - Freshman Composition I and ENG 102 - Introduction to Literature. And I'm having fun doing it.

Looking ahead...life is a little calmer this autumn than it has been for the past year (the waters were already roiling by this time last year, but didn't come to full swells until April - and then took their time settling back down). I'll be starting up the writing workshops soon...revising some of the older ones and adding a whole bunch of new ones. I'm chomping at the bit to get going again on my fantasy novel...but am currently re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series - gearing up to read her latest one. And I'm thinking of getting Starz so I can see the series. I've watched the freebie and Dougal is exactly as I pictured him. Jamie seems a little young, but then, he was early on. And Claire is growing on me. I was amazed at how much dialogue was taken directly from the book...but that's a post for later. :)

We'll all have to get in the habit of posting again...me writing them and you reading them! For now,

Play safe!
Diana

No comments: