Monday, April 09, 2012

Reading books!

Just wanted to bring my "Books Read This Year" list up-to-date. Not too many to add this time, though.

First one to add is The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean, the book my book club is reading this month. The prologue put me off some and I was concerned about the voice but it got better the more I read. Still felt like she was telling me the story too much though. I prefer to "see" the action more clearly. And, if this is released as a "super ebook", I hope they include pictures of the paintings she described. The word-descriptions were very well done, but I'd like to see the actual paintings as well.

Am also re-reading One Child by Torey Hayden before I teach it. This will be my sixth or seventh time through the book and it gets to me every time. If you haven't read it, this is a must read.

Last, but not least (actually, none of these three are least. I liked them all, though for very different reasons), is Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'd read it before, but wanted to read it again before going to see the movie. Haven't read the other two books yet, so no spoilers! I only got halfway through before we went to see it and I thought the movie stayed true to the spirit of the book even if it changed up some of the details. They make good companion pieces. 'Nuff said. Any more and I'll be breaking my own no-spoiler rule!

That it for now. Play safe and read more!
Diana


No comments: