Monday, May 23, 2011

I've been so busy writing these past few weeks I have hardly had time to read more than headlines at all my favorite blogs, our local daily newspaper, and one book, Kreskin Confidential by the one, and only, Amazing Kreskin. I had the opportunity at BEA last year to meet him (he signed his book for me!) and found him to be an utterly charming man. No, I didn't ask him to read my mind. I was having too much fun watching him clown around with some of the others. A delightful chance that I happened to be passing his booth and saw him sitting there, chatting with several fans. He reminded me of a grandfather holding court, entertaining an entire neighborhood of children with his tales.

His book is a quick read, telling stories of some of the people he's met along the way. While not everyone is referred to by name, anyone who grew up in the 60's, 70's and 80's will know exactly who he's talking about (c'mon, Baby Boomers, you know who you are!). A fun way to spend the afternoon.

And of course, reading his stories got me to thinking about my own experiences with ESP (Extra Sensory Perception). My mom enjoyed board games (still does) and we played often when I was a kid. Of course, my brother and I would always argue about who got to go first, so she'd hide one of the markers behind her back and ask us to guess which color. Or she'd think of a number and we had to guess it. I almost always got to go first because I usually knew which hand, which color, which number.

Only later, once I was married and pregnant with my first child, did she confess to "sending" out the answers to both my brother and I. He rarely picked up the thoughts she sent, I often did. We also had a deck of cards with black and white shapes and she and I would play where I would "send" her the figure on the card and she'd try to draw it and vice-versa. For the record, I'm a terrible sender. I didn't do half-bad, though, when she pictured the image and I drew it.

As you can tell, I do believe the mind has possibilities we're just beginning to understand. Do I believe in mind control? No. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but there's a world of bad guys out there. If mind control actually existed, what hope would the world have? We'd all be zombies doing the bidding of the most powerful bad guy. Do I believe in the power of suggestion? Oh, yeah! Madison Avenue advertising and politicians would be lost without it!

So anyway, that was my reading this weekend - Thank you, Mr. Kreskin, for a wonderful story to read and a fun trip down memory lane!

Play safe,
Diana

No comments: