Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Eight books in three years.

Who'd a thunk? Of course, only three of them are full-length works...so I guess that really comes down to a book a year, with five short stories thrown in for good measure. Except HOOKED is novella length, not short story....

Okay, so there's no rhyme or reason to my writing. I write what comes down the pike...tried my hand at two anthologies and might do a third, but only with Ruby Storm and Ruth Kerce...they're great partners to work with and we've already started discussing ideas for another set of stories. But it wouldn't come out for over a year, so I have no sense of urgency yet. And I truly think I write better...or at least more...when I have a deadline hanging over my head, self-imposed or otherwise.

I've been piddling at several stories, but none of the characters have yet grabbed me by the collar and screamed, "ME! Tell MY story!" That's sort of the only way they get page time. So I keep doodling, going from one started manuscript to the next (I think I'm up to five now) hoping that, this time, a character will step up to the plate.

In the meantime, I've been refreshing my batteries...or, going back to Stephen Covey, 'sharpening my saw' by scrapbooking with my daughter, playing solitaire (LOTS of solitaire...Spider is the current weapon of choice for idling away my time...), gardening and following hurricane news. I have relatives in Florida...Fort Meyers to be exact. So once again I've glued myself to the TV.

Today's a celebration day with the release of CABIN FEVER. So tonight, I'm going to kick back, relax and tackle that cast of characters tomorrow.

Till later, play safe!
Diana

No comments: