Saturday, September 06, 2014

Thoughts

I wasn’t sure what this was going to be like...this being retired business. From what others have said, I knew I’d have to order my own days, lest they slip away into the past without anything being accomplished. And I’m too young for that. I still get enjoyment from creating. Writing, scrapbooking, yes, even teaching all give me an opportunity to leave my mark on the world.

This summer, like previous retirees warned, hasn’t felt any different from any other summer. School ended, I went into summer vacation mode...everything was normal. They told me I wouldn’t notice a difference until September. Once everyone else went back to school...and I didn’t.

To be honest, I didn’t think I’d notice, really. Because I’m still working – just at a different job. Writing full-time would still be keeping me occupied and I’d not notice the time passing. Then FLCC called and I almost chafed at the thought of not being able to settle into the routine I’ve longed for all these years.

This week, however, has shown me exactly what it means to be retired. I spent most of Sunday and Monday preparing for classes, then taught on Tuesday and Thursday morning. I ran errands on Wednesday, when others were in school and got the first inkling then. These tasks wouldn’t have gotten done had I still been working full time. Felt a little odd, a little freeing, a little like something I could get used to.

And then today. Steven’s at the Clothesline Art Festival, Kate’s at rehearsal and I’m home reading the Outlander series. I’ve been reading it all week and am on book 4 (Drums of Autumn). Yes, I’ve prepared a manuscript for publication...uploaded it to all the sites this morning and am waiting on them for it to go live...but mostly, I’m not working. I’m reading.

I’m reading. Engrossed in a book. Letting the real world slip away and sinking into the world created for me by another. I’m not ordering my time, I’m not doing chores, I’m not doing anything but reading.


And I think I’m getting a glimmer of what it means to be retired...

No comments: