Sunday, January 08, 2012

New Year, new books!

On the reading front: I'm going to keep better track of the books I read this year. Didn't last year and I think I didn't read as much as a result. For some reason, when I keep a list, I actually read more. Go figure!

Started the year with Gangway Lord, The Here Come the Brides Book  by Jonathan Etter. Am only about 75 pages into it and am already pretty turned off. He sets himself up as a historian, but he's done so with attitude (I'M a historian and I ONLY record the truth, so you better listen to me because I know more than anyone else does!). No, he doesn't say that in so many words, but it sure comes across in his writing.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt though, and kept reading. Yesterday, though, I peeked ahead to see what else the book contained and discovered he has included chapters on each actor. Now, I'm an admitted Bobby Sherman fan and have been since the series first aired. But in a history book, I'd expect fair an equitable treatment of all the people involved -- no special treatment of Bobby just 'cause I had a crush on him.

That isn't the case, however. Special treatment abounds for a select few of the actors while the others get short shrift. In the section on the actors, Bobby Sherman (Jeremy Bolt) and David Soul (Joshua Bolt) get only 7 and 11-page chapters respectively. Joan Blondell (Lottie) and Henry Beckwith (Captain Clancey who has to share his chapter with the fans) get 9 pages each. Mark Lenard (Aaron Stemple) and Susan Tolsky (Biddie) each get a more respectable 13 pages apiece.

Etter's biases become blatant in his remaining two actor chapters. Bridget Hanley (Candy Pruitt) gets the star treatment at 29 pages and Robert Brown (Jason Bolt) gets a whopping 35 pages! Throughout the book, it's pretty obvious who the author likes and respects...and who he doesn't. I also find it suspect that the ONLY person still alive he does not interview at all -- is Bobby Sherman.

So yes, that probably shows MY bias somewhat, but if you're going to do a book that purports to be THE history book on the series, then you interview EVERYONE.

Okay, getting off my soapbox. For all I know, Mr. Sherman told him what he could do with his "history" book and refused to be a part of it. I will keep reading, but I will accept this book for what it is: one fan's drool over certain actors involved.

On the writing front: I'm approaching the climax in my newest (as yet untitled) novel. This one has been a lot of fun to write and actually is a mystery/erotic romance combination. With any luck, I'll keep you guessing about who done it 'till the very end!

One last note: Mystic Shades' title YOURS TO COMMAND is set to go off sale shortly. If you haven't yet gotten your copy of this erotic short story, you can still get it on the Kindle and the Nook for 99 cents. The price rises to $1.99 in another two days, so get it while it's still available at the introductory price!

Play safe, everyone!
Diana

No comments: