Monday, August 02, 2021

I'm baaack! And I read books. And I wrote, too!

     If you're a long-time reader of my blog, you know the past several months have been...hectic. In April my Dad went into hospice and I spent every day with him. I read several books as he napped, but never posted the list here (but have below!). He passed away at the end of April and I spent May cleaning his apartment, nursing my husband through a partial knee replacement, and getting ready to go to Storyknife in Homer, Alaska. I managed only two books that month (both short!) because time was scheduled to the second.

Moonset following closely upon sunset
over Mount Illiamna 
Storyknife
Homer, Alaska

     June I spent in Alaska - and loved every minute of it. While most of my time was spent writing (a total of 47,000+ new words on The Companion, my epic fantasy), I spent several of my evenings curled up with the most wonderful view of volcanoes and a good book, mostly ebooks, since they take up no additional room in my suitcase.

     July has been a mixed month. I've spent a great deal of it riding my Storyknife high (wrote another 37,000+ words on the same fantasy - I did say it was an epic!) and the rest of it picking up the pieces that fell off my plate in May. I've rediscovered my One True Love (aka: my husband) after 40 years of marriage and a full month apart (our longest time away from each other since the day we said, "I does."). 


The 70's wallboard
on the hall walls that 
needs to go!
Together we decided it was time the house got an upgrade, so my study has gotten new shades (thank you, Storyknife for showing me what kind I wanted!), and will soon have a brand-new wall-to-wall carpet. The previous owners of our 1890's house put in very good carpet in the 1970's -- and it's still here. As I said, time for an upgrade!

And so, without any more fuss, here's my list of books read:

March

Lady Whistledown Strikes Back - Julia Quinn
On the Way to the Wedding - Julia Quinn
The Time of Contempt - Andrzej Sapkowski (Witcher series)
A Darker Shade of Magic - V. E. Schwab
The Librarians and the Lost Lamp - Greg Cox
The Lost and Found Bookshop - Susan Wiggs

April
Oathbringer - Brandon Sanderson
Rhythm of War - Brandon Sanderson
The Forgotten Room - Lauren Willig, Karen White, Beatriz Williams
Below Stairs - Margaret Powell

May
Peace by Chocolate - Jon Tattie (non-fiction)
Dark Eden - Chris Becket

June
The Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels - India Holton
Men in Kilts - Katie McAlister
People We Meet on Vacation - Emily Henry
The Duchess Deal - Tessa Dare
The Governess Game - Tessa Dare
The Corset Diaries - Katie McAlister

July
A Scot at Heart - Caroline Linden
Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss
The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss
Rogues (anthology) - ed. by George RR Martin and Gardener Dozois

As you can see, I slant heavily toward romance and fantasy, but spice it up with other genre as well. And The Slow Regard of Silent Things is one of my top three favorite books of all time. I re-read it at least once a year.

That brings us up-to-date! My August will mostly be spent writing - although RL (real life) is going to be more intrusive this month in the form of long-put-off doctor's visits and whatnot. Will post a picture of the finished hallway and study once the carpet is in. :)

Play safe, get vaccinated!

Diana/Cindy

(Yes, I'm including my real first name - and will from now on. I've been posting more to Facebook as me rather than Diana - as I said in May, my plate was so full, if something fell on the floor, it was going to have to stay there as I didn't dare bend over to pick it up and risk upsetting everything else. As I move forward, the Diana Facebook page will remain, but most of my postings are to Cindy Duprey. Come follow me there!)









No comments: