Thursday, March 29, 2012

New York City

Okay, so my husband and I took a trip to the Big Apple this past weekend because he had tickets to the Art Expo (courtesy of Tim Gagnon -- thanks, Tim!). You have to realize, I love New York. It's my favorite city -- ever. Granted, I haven't been in too many other large cities, but New York has Broadway and off-Broadway and that puts it in a special place in my heart.

While there we went to see Avenue Q and Channeling Kevin Spacey. First one was funny (dirty, but really, really funny) and the second one, well...it wasn't the worst I've ever seen (that honor goes to The Pirate Queen), but it wasn't the best, either. 'Nuff said.

On the train ride home, Steven and I got to talking about how many times we've been down to the city. We live in the Finger Lakes region of NY and the city's only about 350 miles away. Still, it's far enough (and expensive enough!) that we don't get there very often.

I thought. Being the anal-retentive, data-driven person I am, I decided to make a database of all the times I've been to New York City. I started with my first trip back in 1973 when I was a freshman in high school (yeah, okay. Go ahead and do the math. I'll wait. Done? Let's move on...). I recorded the dates (some approximate), my method of transportation, who I went with, the reason for the trip, where I stayed (when I could remember) and what I saw (including tourist sights as well as shows).

From 1973 to last weekend, I'm counting a total of 20 trips in 39 years. I've seen 21 different shows, some musicals, some straight plays, and one mime show (Bill Irwin is the best!) and the Radio City Rockette's Christmas show. I've stayed in at least 10 different places (including on the couch of friends who lived there for a while), eaten in every type of place from a diner to an exclusive club where you had to know someone on the inside just to walk in the door.

I love the diversity, the noise, the smells (did you know NYC smells differently in the summer than in the winter? When its cold, there are chestnut vendors on the streetcorners and the scent of roasting chestnuts permeates Times Square). I love the sights, the museums, the shows, the people (I finally got to see the Naked Cowboy this last trip!!!). Let's just face it, I love New York! :)


1 comment:

Happy ending massage center in Delhi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.